EL BAUL, ARTIFACTS AND ANTIQUES, PAGE 4.

HOME SMALL/MIDDLE RUGS SMALL/MIDDLE RUGS2 LARGE CARPETS KILIMS/FLATWEAVES 1 KILIMS/FLATWEAVES 2 TRIBAL BAG+ITEMS 1 TRIBAL BAG+ITEMS 2 OTTOMAN EMBROIDERY RESTORATION    - ARTIFACTS/ANTIQUES1 ARTIFACTS/ANTIQUES2 ARTIFACTS/ANTIQUES3 ARTIFACTS/ANTIQUES4 ARTIFACTS/ANTIQUES5 ARTIFACTS/ANTIQUES6   - ABOUT/CONTACT

This page is under construction.

EL BAUL -- INTERIOR

EL BAUL -- INTERIOR

A HAND BEATEN ANTIQUE TINNED COPPER TRAY made in Persia in the early 1900s. Trays of this beautiful intricate design were used as side tables and were placed on low collapsible wooden bases so hosts and guests could take tea, coffee and pastries. Reference 9000. Diameter 70 cms., or 28 inches, Euros 350.

CLOSE UP shows the exceptionally fine hand beaten design.

ANTIQUE PAIR OF BRONZE CANDLEHOLDERS each mounted on an intricate base of winged griffins. These were popular artifacts in northern European countries in the late 1800s. They have survived in excellent condition. Reference 9004. Height 20 cms., or 8 inches, Euros 320.

OVERVIEW of the pair shows the intricate design. The work around the edge of the circular base of the candle holder is typically French of this era.

RARE SPANISH MARITIME ARTIFACT. Immediately after World War 2 the Spanish leader of the day, General Franco, commissioned extensive work on a Spanish submarine presence. This is an on-boat telephone from this era. It is marked on the lower left side with the words "PROYECTOR - EL FERROL DEL CAUDILLIO" Reference 9002, height 49 cms., or 20 inches, mounted. Euros 490.

ANTIQUE HAND BEATEN METAL PERSIAN TRAY from the period circa 1900. Large round trays were quickly placed on collapsible wooden frame tables to provide a base upon which tea, coffee and pastries were served to guests. I do not recall seeing such a fascinating picture of every day life as that which is portrayed in the design and I marvel at the intricacy. In the inner walled circle the houses, gardens, cypress trees and mosque minarets are surrounded by the inhabitants of this village, while outside the circle rural people walk their flocks and a camel with her calf. (Can you spot the milkmaid at work). It requires a long viewing time to absorb the whole scene. Condition is excellent. There is a tiny dent where a hook for wall hanging has been attached to the back. Reference 9001. Diameter 68 cms., or 27 inches. Euros 320.

CLOSE UP of a small part of the bottom outer border showing amazing detail.

RARE PAIR OF FRENCH LUSTER WARE SINGLE CANDLE HOLDERS dating from the late 19th century. They are made of guilded bronze and fine crystal and in perfect order. Reference 9005, Height 30 cms., or 12 inches each, Euros 600.

SINGLE VIEW.

ANTIQUE ENGLISH BRASS AND CRYSTAL OIL LAMP, dating from the late Victorian period and in perfect condition. The square base has a traditional hidden heavy weight attached inside to provide weight and stability. The globe is large and attractive. Reference 9006. Height 78 cms., or 31 inches. Euros 175.

CLOSE UP showing original working mechanism.

AN EARLY 20TH CENTURY DELFT POTTERY TOBACCO JAR made for the Cuban market, probably designed to be used for the storage of cigars. It bears the wording "DELFT" and "met gelukwens van RTTZ" on the bottom (translates to "With congratulations from RSSZ"). Fascinating artifact in excellent condition. Reference 9008, Height 36 cms., or 14 inches, Euros 115.

ANTIQUE SAMOVAR, probably mid 19th century from northern Europe. It is made from copper with a brass tap and porcelain handles on each side and also the top of the lid. Minor inevitable dents commensurate wth good age. Height 43 cms., or 17 inches. Reference 9007, Euros 255.

CLOSE UP OF VERY ANTIQUE, WELL USED, BRASS TAP.

ANTIQUE BRONZE ADJUSTABLE DESK LAMP. There is little doubt that this lamp is French, late 1800s. The use of traditional French designs such as the Fleur du Liz, Gargoyles and the intricate patterns on the metal all point to this. There are remnants of the original gilt on some of the less used surfaces. It is both functional and delicate. Reference 9009, Height 75 cms., or 30 inches. Euros 320.

CLOSE UP of the top showing designs traditionally used in French decorative artifacts.

ANTIQUE COPPER PRINTING PLATE used by the company A. C. TRAUBE AND COMPANY of Johannesburg, circa 1900. The plate is heavy copper and describes their business as Auctioneers and Live stock salesmen. The company traded from the Central Market in Newtown in the centre of Johannesburg. Reference 8046, Size 5 x 20 cms., or 2 x 8 inches. Euros 45. Click to enlarge.

ANTIQUE COPPER PRINTING PLATE, circa Johannesburg 1900, and the property of The Standard Trading Company Limited. The company was just east of the city centre at 218 Commissioner Street East. They were the largest wholesalers of wines and spirits of the day. The plate is very interesting because it gives a lot of information about the company such as telephone number, separate number for telegrams, P.O.Box, abc and lieber codes and trade mark design. All these can clearly be seen if you click to enlarge. Reference 8047, Size 6 x 20 cms., or 2,5 x 8 inches. Euros 45.

ANTIQUE COPPER PRINTING PLATE used as part of the stationery needed to form this South African company back in 1916. The National Archives Centre in Kew, near London, has many entries of the path this company followed (a very complicated one) until it was wound up in 1977. It is a fragment of commercial activity in the region largely between the two world wars. It is superb engraving. Please click on the photo to enlarge. Reference 8048, Size 6 x 20 cms., or 2,5 x 8 inches. Euros 45.

ANTIQUE COPPER PRINTING PLATE, formerly owned by the gold and uranium mining company of this name in South Africa. It was named after the German and Scotsman who started it in 1887. A majority shareolding was very quickly sold to the giant mining group called "Goldfields". Simmer and Jack is very active today as an exploiter and supplier of gold and uranium. The plate is simple and beatufully engraved with the words "SIMMER AND JACK PROPRIETARY MINES AND LIMITED". Reference 8049, Size 5 x 25 cms., or 2 x 10 inches. Euros 45.

ANTIQUE MAP OF THE AREA SERVED BY THE PENNY POST FOR THE LONDON REGION AFTER 1860. Although there were variations on cheap postal deliveries as early as the 1680s around London it was not until 1860 that the business was regulated and eventually bought by the govenment of the day. For one penny (the postage stamp for this service was the famous "penny black" so sought after by collectors), customers could have delivered within this rough circle a letter or packet with a maximum weight of one pound (454 grammes). The geographical area was generous and the service revolutionised the postal service. (Perhaps it should be brought back today). The text at the top of the map reads --- "A modern map of the countries (sic) twenty five miles around London. Drawn from accurate surveys, and engraved by J. Ellis." Underneath these words is another inscription which reads "Printed for Carrington Bowles in St. Pauls Churchyard, and Robert Sayer in Fleet Street, London." (You can enlarge to full screen this map by clicking left on your mouse)

MAP OF THE PENNY POST BOUNDARY AROUND LONDON AFTER 1860. Framed. Reference 3439. Size (map) is 46 x 43 cms., or 18 x 17 inches. Euros 175.

FINE WATER COLOUR/ENGRAVING of a Lilac Breasted Roller, an indigenous African bird which lives in all the countries along the east coast and also inland once it gets to southern Africa. It is the national bird of Kenya. The drawing is the work of well known natural history artist Dick Findlay. The thorn tree in which it is perching is so called because of its razor sharp long thorns on all branches. This drawing is signed and dated 1959. It formed part of a collection of similar ornothological paintings. Reference 3346. Size 34 x 24 cms., or 12 x 10 inches (unframed). Euros 75.

FINE WATER COLOUR/ENGRAVING Depicting two European Bee Eaters in the branches of a thorn tree. Their name is a misnomer because this species lives and breeds in Asia and only spends the non breeding part of the year in Southern Africa. The artist is Dick Findlay (1928 - 1996) a well known South African natural history artist who, in addition to his stand alone drawings and water colours, also created illustrations for text books and journals. This work is signed and dated 1959. His work has sold at 27 international auctions for sums between 200 and 1000 dollars. Reference 3447. Size 34 x 24 cms., or 12 x 10 inches, (unframed), Euros 75.

THREE FASCINATING CHURCHES EACH WITH ENGRAVED DRAWINGS. SHOWN IN HARRISON'S "HISTORY OF LONDON, 1775". Left to Right. Left - Saint Mary Aldermary Church which lies in Bow Lane just behind St. Paul's Cathederal and is thought to be the oldest Church in the City. The architect was Sir Christopher Wren. The building, started in 1681 was finished in 1704. Centre -- Church of Saint Mary le Bow in Cheapside. Originally established by a Frenchman in 1080 named Lanfranc who was an aid to William the conqueror eventually being appointed his Archbishop of Canterbury. This Church was opened in 1680. Right -- The Church of Saint Mildred was a refuge for the inhabitants of Husoy Island off the coast of Norway. Reference 3443. Size 20 x 30 cms., or 8 x 12 inches. Euros 35.

ANTIQUE ENGRAVINGS OF THE ORIGINAL 8 GATES TO THE CITY OF LONDON FROM HARRISON'S "HISTORY OF LONDON -- 1775". Walter Harrison was a very busy man and followed his historical research into specific suburbs and whole areas of London with folios or books with engraved illustrations of each one. He managed to find enough drawings, plans and notes to re-constitute these 8 gates which had been demolished in 1760 because they could not handle the volume of people, animals and goods entering and leaving the famous one square mile City of London. Just imagine there were even traffic jams at the entrance to London 263 years ago. His 1775 book, of which these engravings were a part, show a cross section of the more interesting famous buildings. The plates are in good condition and have been well preserved. They would benefit now by being displayed in simple frames. Reference 3444. Size 20 x 30 cms., or 8 x 12 inches. Euros 35..

ENGRAVINGS OF TWO ALMS HOUSES IN THE EAST END OF LONDON. BOTH FEATURED IN "HARRISON'S HISTORY OF LONDON, PRINTED IN 1775" The Trinity Alms House (bottom drawing) was built in 1685. Like most others it was designed to help the truly destitute people with no money, work, possessions and hope. This gradually evolved into a situation whereby shelter, a little money, food, clothes and medical help was exchanged for labour and a certain loss of freedom. The next stage in evolution was to offer shelter (a proper room) on a temporary basis while the person was "getting on their feet" which could be a few days or even a much longer period. Now, in recognition of the part they have played in the history of London the buildings have been taken over by local government or private owners who rebuilt and refurbished what was needed. One, in Hoxton, has become a well known museum and a place where many events are held. Reference 3445. Size 30 x 20 cms., or 12 x 8 inches. Euros 35.

ENGRAVINGS OF THE HALLS HOUSING THE HOMES OF THE WORSHIPFUL COMPANIES OF BOTH GROCERS AND GOLDSMITHS. PUBLISHED IN HARRISON'S "HISTORY OF LONDON, DATED 1775. These are two of the largest Halls of the 110 Livery Companies representing the whole range of professions in the United Kingdom. They were founded many years before laws regarding business practices were passed and served to set standards of quality and service by their members for the benefit of both trader and customer. Today they fullfil a largely ceremonial function but their standards are still applicable. These two Halls were established in 1345 and 1835 respectively. Reference 3440. Size 30 x 20 cms., or 12 x 8 inches. Euros 35.

IN HIS 1775 BOOK OF "THE HISTORY OF LONDON" THE AUTHOR AND RESEARCHER, WALTER HARRISON, pays tribute to the number of churches within the one square mile and the trauma they have endured. London 2000 years ago was established as a distant trading outpost of the Roman Empire. Plans and written records exist of many churches dating back to the 10th century. Sequentially all have suffered the ravages of age and been repared or re-built every 300 years or so, but many were totally destroyed by the great fire of London which in 5 September days in 1666 decimated the city. The top row shows The Church of Saint Anne and Saint Agnes in Aldersgate, destroyed in the fire but rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren. On the right is Saint Botolph's Church, also in Aldersgate which houses written records from 1331. The centre pictures are of Saint Martin's in Threadneedle Street, built by the Outwitch family but demolished in 1874 and never replaced. On the right is Saint Olave's in Old Jewry, another fire victim but also re-built by Wren. It has records going bck to 1540. The bottom row shows Saint Bartholomew's the Great which is enthusiastically holding events all this year to celebrate its 900th birthday. It lies within the large Smithfield Market area. Few people know this church has a little sister called Saint Bartholomew's the Less which is a small church within the grounds of the hospital and serves the needs of staff and patients alike. Reference 3442. Size 30 x 20 cms., or 12 x 8 inches. Euros 35.

TWO GRAND BUILDINGS IN THE CITY, THE MANSION HOUSE AND THE GUILDHALL, ARE SHOWN ON THIS PAGE OF HARRISON`S "HISTORY OF LONDON" published in 1775. The Mansion House has been the official residence of the Lord Mayor of London since 1752. His apartment is secluded away in a private part of the building the rest of which is used for ceremonial occasions and imporant government business. The Guildhall houses the City of London's elected assembly. It also hosts state banquets, often involving foreign Heads of States. Reference 3441. Size 30 x 20 cms., or 12 x 8 inches. Euros 35.